knowledge about the space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Milky Way

+4
miththu
Sarah
rahulmittal
pawansoni
8 posters

Go down

The Milky Way Empty The Milky Way

Post  pawansoni Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:21 am

The Milky Way is a barred spiral galaxy that is part of the Local Group of galaxies. Although the Milky Way is one of billions of galaxies in the observable universe,[4] its special significance to humanity is that it is the home galaxy of our Solar System. The plane of the Milky Way galaxy is visible from Earth as a band of light in the night sky, and it is the appearance of this band of light which has inspired the name for our galaxy.

dallas fha loans family dentistry raleigh

pawansoni

Back to top Go down

The Milky Way Empty Re: The Milky Way

Post  rahulmittal Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:24 am

The Milky Way is the galaxy which is the home of our Solar System together with at least 200 billion other stars (more recent estimates have given numbers around 400 billion) and their planets, and thousands of clusters and nebulae, including at least almost all objects of Messier's catalog which are not galaxies on their own (one might consider two globular clusters as possible exceptions, as probably they are just being, or have recently been, incorporated or imported into our Galaxy from dwarf galaxies which are currently in close encounters with the Milky Way: M54 from SagDEG, and possibly M79 from the Canis Major Dwarf). See our Messier Objects in the Milky Way page, where details are given for each object to which part of our Galaxy it is related. All the objects in the Milky Way Galaxy orbit their common center of mass, called the Galactic Center.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Rahul

digital backs family dentistry raleigh

rahulmittal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:42 am

Our own galaxy consists of about 200 billion stars, with our own Sun being a fairly typical specimen. It is a fairly large spiral galaxy and it has three main components
Disk, in which the solar system resides, Central bulge at the core, and an all encompassing halo

_________________________________________________________________________________
Local florists list no credit check loans anuncios vilafranca del penedes download cell phone ringtones

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  miththu Thu May 13, 2010 3:56 am

The Milky Way, or simply the Galaxy, is the galaxy in which the Solar System is located. It is a barred spiral galaxy that is part of the Local Group of galaxies. It is one of billions of galaxies in the observable universe. Its name is a translation of the Latin Via Lactea, in turn translated from the Greek Γαλαξίας (Galaxias), referring to the pale band of light formed by stars in the galactic plane as seen from Earth

miththu

Back to top Go down

Post  cadee Sun May 16, 2010 7:29 am

The Milky Way is the galaxy which is the home of our Solar System together with at least 200 billion other stars (more recent estimates have given numbers around 400 billion) and their planets, and thousands of clusters and nebulae, including at least almost all objects of Messier's catalog which are not galaxies on their own (one might consider two globular clusters as possible exceptions, as probably they are just being, or have recently been, incorporated or imported into our Galaxy from dwarf galaxies which are currently in close encounters with the Milky Way: M54 from SagDEG, and possibly M79 from the Canis Major Dwarf). See our Messier Objects in the Milky Way page, where details are given for each object to which part of our Galaxy it is related. All the objects in the Milky Way Galaxy orbit their common center of mass, called the Galactic Center

cadee

Back to top Go down

Post  rjs398 Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:28 am

The Milky Way Galaxy belongs to the Local Group, a smaller group of 3 large and over 30 small galaxies, and is the second largest (after the Andromeda Galaxy M31) but perhaps the most massive member of this group. M31, at about 2.9 million light years, is the nearest large galaxy, but a number of faint galaxies are much closer: Many of the dwarf Local Group members are satellites or companions of the Milky Way. The two closest neighbors, both already mentioned, have only recently been discovered: The nearest of all, discovered in 2003, is an already almost disrupted dwarf galaxy, the Canis Major Dwarf, the nucleus of which is about 25,000 light-years away from us and about 45,000 light-years from the Galactic Center. Second comes SagDEG at about 88,000 light years from us and some 50,000 light years from the Galactic Center. These two dwarfs are currently in close encounters with our Galaxy and in sections of their orbits situated well within the volume ocupied by our Milky Way. They are followed in distance by the more conspicuous Large and Small Magellanic Cloud, at 179,000 and 210,000 light years, respectively.

rjs398

Back to top Go down

Post  madi123 Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:23 am

Look, I agree that slavery was one of the greatest targedies in the course of human events. However, there have been hundreds of people and civilizations that have suffered just as muh if not worse as the Africans have had to deal with through slavery and colonization. These people never asked for handouts, they never placed blame for decades on end, and they never expected an entire race or country to feel eternally shameful for their actions. No, they stood up and lifted themselves up. They triumphed over their sufferings and tragedies. I am tired of being expected to feel sorry and ashamed for the actions of my ancestors and countrymen. Hell, my ancestors may have never owned slaves, I don't know whether they did or not. But because my skin is white and I'm an American I have to feel sorry to the blacks in America and around the world. I did nothing to these people. Tell me, why should I be punished or burdened with responsibility for their fate? There comes a time where everybody needs to take responsibility for their own fate, stop blaming others for the state of their life, and improve their life on their own, not expect others to do it for them.

And with the massive hate storm Bush received for intervening in foreign affairs in the Middle East, why should any American, let alone the American Right, be willing to put their necks on the line to get invovled? It sounds cruel, but I'm tired of the double standard being played by liberals in America today. We need to stay out of everybody else's business, but its my obligation to help out those who showed the lack of intelligence to take out a loan they could not afford? (As an aside, this is not a cheapshot at all liberals, and simply because one may share a liberal viewpoint does not mean they should take offense; I am only targeting a select group in American society and politics.)

madi123

Back to top Go down

Post  dewde Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:41 pm

See our Messier Objects in the Milky Way page, where details are given for each object to which part of our Galaxy it is related. All the objects in the Milky Way Galaxy orbit their common center of mass, called the Galactic Center.
----------------------
didi games

dewde

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum